Monday, January 5, 2009

when are you planning for??

I haven't yet written about the Nagalpura night camp yet. To save this trip from the same fate, here it is. Cheers!
7.09PM, Friday, GTalk:

<...discussions, on bikes, duration of trip, who etc...>
Pressure: so, when are you planning for??
Me(in the head): dude!! you don't know?!!?!

when=> tomorrow: Saturday
planning => a road trip to Pondy
'you' => indeterminate at that moment

That was the level of arbitness in planning regarding every aspect of the trip, who could come along, when 'we' would leave, hiring/getting bikes. Thanks to the way the discussion started, and pressure putting it first before Suby, who I swear, would've said a plain 'no' if I'd put the proposal before. Well, that's the way it's been with my hostel mates regarding the other treks I'd been to. And, that's what makes this trip even more special! My friends (who, ironically, treat me like the kiddo of the group) finally grew up! :D :P

Coming back to the point, finally, the 'we' was defined by 9pm. Pressure, Suby, Poison, Shampoo, me, Bhaw, Lee and Mr.Mri. With some more confusion with the bikes in the morning, some melodrama I put up out of grief for scooty not coming along, we finally made it out of insti by 7:30am and out of Chennai by 8:40 or so, with the scooty (yes, it made it miraculously!)!! I was sooo glad I got to drive on a long drive! I knew I'd do that someday, but so soon, naah never imagined that!
Well, this one had all elements that a road trip could ever have. Junta falling off bikes, doing wheelies (Phew! Me and scooty narrowly escaped that!!), roadside stops that delayed us well into the day, eating water chestnuts by the road side, visiting my long-long-lost uncle's ostrich farm and leaving a note there, me and Bhaw arbitrarily singing loudly into air in the worst possible tones, begging Bhaw for the scooty (which I got finally when she got bored of it!), playing (trying to) roadrash(!), driving throughout without a license!! Ofcourse, how could any road trip be complete without a puncture and a retarded bike. Well, the scooty went ahead coz it very well knew it was a tortoise in a race against hares! When we were finally tired of driving we decided to wait for the others to join us at Mahabs where Suby and shampoo saw the temples, I did a lil' piece of climbing, and all of us ate Kulfi.

And with another series of stops for god-only-remembers reasons we finally reached Pondicherry, which looked like any other dusty town until I saw the beautiful blue beach with clearly distinguishable falling white waves. At this point of time I really got impatient with the amount of fight being put to narrow down on a decent restaurant together. After freshening up and having a debate on who would sit where, food came along. The french fries and starters were the most awesome of all grub (no wonder, there were battles over it!) and there was this guyi guyi continental dish => they all look/smell/taste/feel/sound the same!

We ate, we paid, we left, we filled petrol, we(Scooty) overshot the way and returned back, we were late for a ferry, we got disappointed, we decided on Sand beach, the way to which filled in for all the aforementioned pain! It was through a village setting and the beach felt totally private with almost no junta other than us. Having finished packing shampoo in his sleeping bag, my group finally thought it was time to go to the beach. Phew! The sand was clean, waves amazing. After procuring a 'sher-shell' , I got bored with shell scavenging. Built the biggest sand castle ever and protected it from the destructive company I had! Well, erm, ya I did use destructive methods myself though!
Time to go home, and we lose a bike key, the key without the key chain in the sand. 'A needle in the haystack', could the simile act any more metaphor-ish? But miracles happen. Victor rescued Yamaha, a bike in need is a bike indeed :D! Yes, the key actually worked! All our expressions could have as well been used in an ad with the format: 'before product' and 'after product'.

After this followed, sand skidding, lock breaking, very heavy traffic that I gave up my over-enthu for driving and back on the highway we escaped a license check which turned out to be a breath check later. Phew out of Pondy, at least! Little did I know that the cold was waiting for all of us! Every body became a bandit in the fancy dress contest (some preferred little red riding hood though!), with as much clothing as available rolled around their heads. Never imagined roadside tea would feel so heavenly one day. But it didn't beat the cold I had put myself through during a night trek where I was adamant about sleeping outside the tent just to see the stars! And, thanks to no dinner but a biscuit, excessive cold, and nothing to do being a pillion rider, I crashed for like 20 minutes or so, so did my other friends but they had their own styles, one imitated AC signal, mine was a square wave, and the rest I would like to believe had constant zero DC, with some occasional surges! Finally when the last bike reached campus, we finished off with the Worst Group Pic of the Century - Colgate Smiles! Cheers!
Well, that's was the general theme of the whole trip - Uncertainty! We religiously worshiped Heisenberg there!

PS: I actually thought Pondicherry to Chennai was the safest highway possible, after we drove on it during midnight and reached insti happily. After discussing it with my Ecologin group, came to know that its not so, especially during evening time (6-7 types) when there is lots of cattle all over the road. And its well marked only till Pondicherry, after which it is a flood of dangerous turns.
Yeah, yeah fine!! I'll check with them before leaving from next time!

5 comments:

Leela said...

And just when I was thinking that it was unconventional that there were no couples in our 4 girls + 4 guys 'trip' team! Guess there was one after all; 'Me and Scooty' driving happily ever after. :P

Mr. I said...

ah, well, the fact that you were crashing prevented you fro seeing the cattle walking along..That's why they say "Keep your eyes and ears open ! "

cl said...

@Leela: Lee and Pulsar, does it ring a bell? :P
But here I go: Love you,Scoot!

@gravy hanger: As I said my sleep distribution was a square wave, but seriously, I never knew cattle did math for interpolating their path!:P

pushkarini said...

i still wonder how vani manages to put math fundaes into all of her pjs! :)

cl said...

@push:
Where there's a pj,
there is always a way!