Sunday, July 12, 2009

Excerpts - The Tao of Physics

  • ‘Cogito ergo sum’- ‘I think, therefore I exist’-has led Western man to equate his identity with his mind, instead of with his whole organism. As a consequence of the Cartesian division, most individuals are aware of themselves as isolated egos existing ‘inside’ their
    bodies. The mind has been separated from the body and given the futile task of controlling it, thus causing an apparent conflict between the conscious will and the involuntary instincts. Each individual has been split up further into a large number of separate compartments, according to his or her activities, talents, feelings, beliefs, etc., which are engaged in endless conflicts generating continuous metaphysical confusion and
    frustration. This inner fragmentation of man mirrors his view of the world ‘outside’ which is seen as a multitude of separate objects and events. The natural environment is treated as if it consisted of separate parts to be exploited by different interest groups.
    The fragmented view is further extended to society which is split into different nations, races, religious and political groups. The belief that all these fragments-in ourselves, in our environment and in our society-are really separate can be seen as the essential reason for the present series of social, ecological and cultural crises. It has alienated us from nature and from our fellow human beings.

2 comments:

Abhishek said...

As charmed I am, by the very simple and straight-to-the-point yet deeply indulging way of writing in this post, I think I'd rather go with the other way around. We are an integration of parts, but we are parts. The mind is considered as a unifying force of the organism, agreed. But, instead of considering it as a consequence, I see it as a cause which has led to the belief that the mind should represent the individual. It is the one thing that keeps us intact and it is similar to the social structure. A government keeps people living within certain boundaries together. It unifies and hence represents the nation and not the other way round. And, I'm talking about creation and not the sustenance. The mind represents the individual because it controls the individual and not the other way round.
I would rather say, I exist, therefore I think.
PS: I'm sorry I don't know enough latin to translate that. I guess it could be "Sum, ergo cogito." The translator is giving a satisfying result with this.

Anonymous said...

Hey vani....happened to somehow stumble on your blog from nowhere and I'm glad I found it....abot the post, what do you mean by 'conscious will and the involuntary instincts'??....Also I think that mind and body are distinguishable to a great extent....like the saying goes ' All that glitters is not gold'....I think the differences is what makes us and gives us a new identity and hope in life...There should be diversity but conflicts due to it should be avoided...